(RADIATOR) Problem with mixing file and web-based configuration methods - GlobalVar, includes, comments and default values

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Tue Apr 8 19:10:49 CDT 2008

Hello Valentin -

Thanks for your mail and comments - see below.

On 7 Apr 2008, at 20:12, Valentin Tumarkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Historically I have been writing Radiator configuration files with
> many DefineGlobalVar/DefineFormattedGlobalVar, includes, and comments.
> While preparing a demo of Radiator functionality (4.2, eval) for a
> potential customer, I encountered a number of problems while combining
> my Radiator configuration style with web-based (ServerHTTP)
> configuration method.

As you have discovered, the web interface is not designed to be used
in conjunction with manual editing.

> After saving configuration via the web interface:
> 1) DefineGlobalVar are removed from configuration, while their
> respective %{GlobalVar:...} remain.

Yes - this is a bug - thanks for reporting it. This will be fixed in
the next patch set.

> 2) Many variables with default values are added to the configuration.
> For example many EAP* parameters are added to AuthBy's which aren't
> meant to allow EAP.

Yes - this is necessary when using the web interface.

> 3) Includes are merged with the main file, comments are removed.

Yes - unavoidable with the web  interface.

> I understand and respect that some of the above issues may be rather
> hard to fix, considering how Radiator parses and organizes its
> configuration.
> Only the 1st issue is critical, as it actually breaks radius server
> configuration. The other two would be "nice to have", but not as
> vital.

The first issue will be fixed as soon as the next patch set is released.

The other issues are due to the fact that the web interface is meant
to be used on its own in "simple" installations.

I, like you, prefer to maintain my own configuration files manually
in the same way as you do. I also use GlobalVar's, include files and
lots of comments.

thanks for your comments

> Thank you,
> Valentin