(RADIATOR) Postcard from Sri Lanka

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Thu Jan 13 02:32:21 CST 2005

Hello Everyone -

With the recent events in Asia you probably wouldn't think that I would
be in Sri Lanka (neither did I) - but here I am!

I am doing some consulting work in Colombo, where everything is pretty
much normal, except that the hotel(s) is(are) full of emergency
aircrew, relief workers, military personnel, foreign diplomatic
missions and lots of journalists. Colombo is also on the west coast, so
wasn't as exposed as the northern and southern areas.

The people here are very friendly and hospitable and I am enjoying
myself thoroughly.

I arrived on the weekend and decided to see if I could find a golf
course just for fun, so I hired a driver and we set off to do some
sightseeing and exploring.

First stop was the Royal Colombo Golf Club with its fine old colonial
club house - I didn't play there but I did buy a glove, just in case.

As we were driving towards the new Parliament Buildings, my driver
mentioned that he thought there was a new golf course somewhere in the
area. We eventually found it and I made myself known to the manager,
Mr. Sarath Fernando. It turns out that the course is not yet finished
and wasn't open for play, but after a bit more discussion we discovered
that Mr. Fernando had just arrived from Australia to take up the
managers post and his house in Melbourne is only about 10 minutes from
my house! Talk about a small world! This being the case of course I was
instantly given a set of clubs, a caddy and some balls and sent out to
play as much as I liked. Needless to say I had a marvellous time!

The only difficulty I have had has been the travelling to and from
Melbourne, as I have to stay overnight in Singapore in both directions.

I will be retruning home tomorrow and spending Saturday in Singapore,
trying not to buy too many toys (don't you just love the new iPod
Shuffle and the Mac Mini?). If I miss any email over the next few days
please try it again next week.

Best regards

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au