(RADIATOR) Microsoft SQL 2000 Not Working in Windows 2000 Pro

Patrick Dacanay pdacanay at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 05:10:24 CDT 2004

Hi there.  I am trying to setup our company's Radius
server.

I seem to have a problem making Radiator work with
Microsoft SQL 2000 in a Windows 2000 Pro OS.  I hope
someone out there can help me out.  I plan of having
authentication and accounting done in MSQL 2000.

Here is what I did so far......

1.  Installed ActiveState ActivePerl 5.6.1
2.  Using PPM, I installed DBI and DBD-ODBC.
3.  Installed Radiator following the install.html
file.
4.  Installed Microsoft SQL 2000 Standalone
5.  Created a new database named "testdatabase".  In
this database, I created 2 new tables, the "Users" and
"Accouting" tables using nvarchar as all of the
data types.

    Users Table had the following columns (the
contents of the entries here are taken from the users
file:

USERNAME,PASSWORD,SERVICETYPE,FRAMEDPROTOCOL,FRAMEDIPNETMASK,FRAMEDROUTING,FRAMEDMTU,FRAMEDCOMPRESSION

  Accounting Table had the following columns:

USERNAME,TIME_STAMP,ACCOUNTSESSIONTIME,CALLEDSTATIONID,CALLINGSTATIONID,FRAMEDPROTOCOL,FRAMEDIPADDRESS,NASIDENTIFIER,NASPORT,ACCOUNTSESSIONID

6.  Set my Data Sources (ODBC)....under User DSN, I
created an ODBC User data source pointing to the
database I created in #5.  I tested it and it was
working.

7.  Under System DSN, I also created an ODBC User data
source pointing to the database I created in #5.  I
tested it and it was working.

8.  I modified the radius.cfg file in c:\Program
Files\Radiator to have the following config
parameters:

Foreground
LogStdout
LogDir	c:/Data/Logs/
LogFile	c:/Data/Logs/%Y-log-%m%d
DbDir	c:/Program Files/Radiator

Trace		4

<Client localhost>
	Secret mysecret
	DupInterval 2
</Client>

<Client 192.168.1.254>
	Secret testsecret
	IgnoreAcctSignature
	DupInterval 2
</Client>

<Realm DEFAULT>

	<AuthBy SQL>

		DBSource	dbi:ODBC:testdatabase
		DBUsername	sa
		DBAuth	        test

        	AuthSelect select PASSWORD from USERS where
USERNAME='%n'
                AuthColumnDef 0, User-Password, check

                AccountingTable Accounting
                AccountingStopsOnly
                AcctColumnDef   USERNAME,User-Name
                AcctColumnDef
TIME_STAMP,Timestamp,integer-date
                AcctColumnDef
ACCOUNTSTATUSTYPE,Acct-Status-Type
                AcctColumnDef
ACCOUNTSESSIONTIME,Acct-Session-Time,integer
                AcctColumnDef
CALLEDSTATIONID,Called-Station-Id
                AcctColumnDef
CALLINGSTATIONID,Calling-Station-Id
                AcctColumnDef
FRAMEDPROTOCOL,Framed-Protocol
                AcctColumnDef
FRAMEDIPADDRESS,Framed-IP-Address
                AcctColumnDef
NASIDENTIFIER,NAS-IP-Address
                AcctColumnDef
NASPORT,NAS-Port,integer
                AcctColumnDef
ACCOUNTSESSIONID,Acct-Session-Id

	</AuthBy>

	AcctLogFileName	c:/Data/Details/%Y-detail-%m%d
	AcctLogFileFormat %{User-Name}  %q %v %d %Y %H:%M:%S
%{Acct-Status-Type} %{Acct-Session-Time}
%{Called-Station-Id} %{Calling-Station-Id}
%{NAS-IP-Address} %{NAS-Port} %{NAS-Port-Type}
%{Acct-Session-Id}

</Realm>

The problem starts when I ran radiusd with the
command:  perl c:\perl\bin\radiusd
It shows the folllowing error:

Couldn't create dictionary from
'/usr/local/etc/raddb/dictionary'. Check log for
 more information: No such file or directory at (eval
4) line 436.
        ...caught at c:\perl\bin\radiusd line 2.

The weird thing here is that if I use the default
radius.cfg with the users file
being used to authenticate the username and password,
it works.  When I modify
the radius.cfg file to the above config, it seems to
look for the files in a
Linux environment and default file paths.

I tried putting the radius.cfg and dictionary files in
the c:\usr\local\etc\raddb
directory, but running the radiusd just hangs.

I hope someone will take time to read this lengthy
email and really help me out.

Thanks a lot.

Patrick

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au