(RADIATOR) Re: Fwd: Re: [Oz-ISP] AS5200's and IOS12.1

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Mar 6 07:51:13 CST 2002

We use the AS5300's almost exclusively here, we run IOS 12.1(x).

The config info doesn't mean much below.  The problem is that if you're
using IOS and not using "virtual profiles" I believe the 5300's listen
to what's hard set in the config as an idle-time on any dialer our
group-async interface.  If you don't specify the idle timeout, then I
believe the default is some crazy value of 2 minutes (120 seconds).

The best solution we've found is to use virtual profiles on the 5300,
and max out the idle-timeout on any dialer or group-async interface.
When doing that, the 5300's will always honor the RADIUS attributes for
idle-timeout, etc.  We've never had a problem with the 5300's just
disconnecting people for idle-timeout if they were using it or not, and
the access-list in the config below just denies any ICMP requests to or
from any async device (modem).  I surely don't see how that fixes the
problem.

Tips for the AS5300's and RADIUS:

Enable virtual profiles:

virtual-profile virtual-template 1
virtual-profile aaa

Max out the idle-timeout of any interface.

If you are running any routing protocols on the box, make sure you make
dialer and group-async interfaces PASSIVE, or try not to include the
scope in your OSPF range, etc.  Otherwise you'll be sending routing
messages to all your dialin users:

router ospf 101
 log-adjacency-changes
 area 0 authentication
 redistribute connected subnets route-map connected_filter
 redistribute static subnets
 passive-interface Dialer1
 passive-interface Group-Async1
 passive-interface Virtual-Template1

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au