(RADIATOR) SQL Server Connection Handling

Dan Melomedman dan at devonit.com
Thu Aug 29 14:11:19 CDT 2002

Mike McCauley wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:32, Hugh Irvine wrote:
> > Hello Dan -
> >
> > I would have to suggest that you use a more sensible database.
>
> Of course that there might be other reasons that prevent you from doing that.
>
> I am a bit puzzled though: I would normally expect Radiator to attempt to
> reconnect and have another go after failing to execute that query the first
> time?
>
> Perhaps if you send more the the trace file we might see if that is happening?
>
> Cheers.

Here's what happens:

1) If the server has been writing to MSSQL server frequently, no problems.
2) If the server has not written anything over TCP connection to MSSQL
in quite a long while, the server is blocked. Any subsequent
requests to the server fail. This is the last thing in the log before a
block:

Wed Aug 28 18:58:52 2002 707093: DEBUG: do query is: insert into
failedattempts
(LoggedAt,User_Name,NAS_IP_Address,Caller_ID,NAS_Port,Failure_Message,
Active_Handler) values ('2002-08-28
18:58:52.000','dan','203.63.154.1','987654321','1234','''Bad
Password''', 'prodnetilla') .

I suspect a problem may be with FreeTDS libraries, DBD::Sybase, or MSSQL
server itself. Unfortunately I can't use a different database for
logging for beauraucratical reasons.

A connect-log-disconnect feature would be a quick fix for this. It would
also allow some people simple load balancing with round-robin DNS to
boot.
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au