(RADIATOR) USR/3Com Total Control and radiator

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Sun Aug 25 20:25:21 CDT 2002

Hi Bob -

The thing to do is put a packet sniffer (snoop/tcpdump/ethereal/...) on
the ethernet interface where the current radius server is running and
have a look at the radius packet dumps to see what radius attributes are
used. Once you know what is required it is quite simple to configure
Radiator to do the same thing.

On Friday, August 23, 2002, at 05:26 PM, Bob Shafer wrote:

> We're using radiator to handle our Cisco VPN servers, amoung other
> things.
>
> We still have some modems, USR Total Control modems, that we keep
> thinking
> will go away, but they don't.  We're using 3Com's radius server for
> authentication and accounting.  I'd like to get rid of those servers and
> just use Radiator.
>
> I've read in the documenation and the FAQ about using the two together,
> and looked in the goodies file.  I *think* the authentication and
> accounting will be pretty straight forward.  But I'll have to try it to
> see.
>
> What I'm running up against is that these modems are old enough that we
> implemented "menus" on them to allow for limited telnet access for
> character cell terminals as well as for ppp and slip.
>
> So someone can log on and "type" a login and password, then enter a host
> name or "ppp" or "slip" to connect.
>
> I just checked our logs in the vague hope that no one is still accessing
> the modems in this manner and everyone was using ppp.  It seems we still
> have a fair number of folks who use the telnet capability, and some who
> even have scripts that enter "slip" or "ppp" rather than letting their
> systems negotiate ppp.
>
> So I might be stuck with having to implement the "menu" from Radiator.
> Being careful not change anything so that I don't break old, and
> reliable,
> scripts.
>
> The 3Com radiuis server seems to implement these in their user
> configuration file by using "templates" and "scripts" but I have no idea
> how to translate that concept to Radiator.
>
> Has anyone done this, and/or can someone give me some pointers on the
> subject.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Shafer
> University of Denver

NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our
correspondence.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au