(RADIATOR) USR/3Com Total Control and radiator

Bob Shafer bshafer at du.edu
Fri Aug 23 10:26:30 CDT 2002

We're using radiator to handle our Cisco VPN servers, amoung other things.

We still have some modems, USR Total Control modems, that we keep thinking
will go away, but they don't.  We're using 3Com's radius server for
authentication and accounting.  I'd like to get rid of those servers and
just use Radiator.

I've read in the documenation and the FAQ about using the two together,
and looked in the goodies file.  I *think* the authentication and
accounting will be pretty straight forward.  But I'll have to try it to
see.

What I'm running up against is that these modems are old enough that we
implemented "menus" on them to allow for limited telnet access for
character cell terminals as well as for ppp and slip.

So someone can log on and "type" a login and password, then enter a host
name or "ppp" or "slip" to connect.

I just checked our logs in the vague hope that no one is still accessing
the modems in this manner and everyone was using ppp.  It seems we still
have a fair number of folks who use the telnet capability, and some who
even have scripts that enter "slip" or "ppp" rather than letting their
systems negotiate ppp.

So I might be stuck with having to implement the "menu" from Radiator.
Being careful not change anything so that I don't break old, and reliable,
scripts.

The 3Com radiuis server seems to implement these in their user
configuration file by using "templates" and "scripts" but I have no idea
how to translate that concept to Radiator.

Has anyone done this, and/or can someone give me some pointers on the
subject.

Thanks,

Bob Shafer
University of Denver