(RADIATOR) "Dupinterval" and big NAS

Sergey Y. Afonin asy at kraft-s.ru
Thu Aug 1 00:48:27 CDT 2002

Hello.

  I think I've discovered a problem with duplicate session detection on a
NAS with large amount of modems. The identifier of radius packet is one byte
sized (1-255), but in case of some NAS have over 255 modems. For example,
CommWorks Total Control 1000 (which was known as USR/3COM Total Control)
may be have up to 420 modems. It is common to have two different sessions
having the same identifier in their authorization requests in short time interval.

That promlem had led to another one. The Radiator ignores the second accounting
packet of the same identifier. The NAS thinks that that radius server has gone away
and moves to backup radius server. If backup is not pesent, any further accounting
packets will be lost.

I think in that case it is necessary to use "username" (for example) in addition to
identifier to compare sessions for big NAS.

--
Regards, Sergey Afonin
asy at kraft-s.ru

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au