(RADIATOR) %R

Mariano Absatz radiator at lists.com.ar
Tue Dec 11 07:33:46 CST 2001

Hi,

I guess (but Hugh or Mike could prove me wrong) that the problem lies in
caching.

I didn't read the source, but I guess the file caching is done on an AuthBy
basis (and not on a "different file" basis).

The manual states (release 2.18.4):

> For performance reasons, AuthBy FILE opens and reads the user database
> at start-up, reinitialisation and whenever the file's modification
> time changes, (i.e. the database is cached within Radiator). Since the
> user database is cached in memory, large databases can require large
> amounts of memory.

Since the actual file name is known when the first @dnnnknnnnnnnn or
@Knnnnnnnn comes in, and that is the file checked for every access in that
realm.

You could do the following:
<Handler Realm=/(^[d]\d{3}[k]\d{8}$)|(^[K]\d{8}$)/, Service-Type=Framed-User>
         <AuthBy FILE>
                 Filename /usr/local/lib/radiator/users/%R
                 Nocache
         </AuthBy>
</Handler>
and that might work, alas, at the expense of performance. If one of those
files is too large, you would be in trouble (I think the searches in the file
are linear).

Proably keeping a copy of the files in a ram disk and pointing to them would
speed up the look-ups a bit... but they are still linear, if you can, order
the users inside a file by rate of use.

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby