[RADIATOR] New Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA) attributes (Was: Re: Fwd: An update to a dictionary)

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Wed May 3 17:09:55 UTC 2023

On 2.5.2023 20.40, Stefan Paetow (OpenSource) via radiator wrote:

> Just be aware that WBA and WFA are not the same organisation. WBA has
> the Github repo where they are publishing their dictionaries (thank
> goodness). WFA (Wi-Fi Alliance) are apparently exceptionally difficult
> with their dictionary.

I agree WBA and WFA are not the same. They seem to have quite a lot of
common history, though. I used the Internet Archive to see how these two
vendor ids had changed over the years. This hopefully helps to
understand why the Radius attribute naming looks complicated especially
for vendor 14122.

The history of vendor 14122 name shows that it was originally, around
mid 2002, "WECA-Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance". The name was
later, circa 2010, updated to "Wi-Fi Alliance" and then soon after that
to "Wireless Broadband Alliance Ltd (previous was 'Wi-Fi Alliance')".
About mid 2018 the name was shortened to its current form "Wireless
Broadband Alliance Ltd".

By WBA's definition, vendor id 14122 is used by WISPr- and WBA- prefixed
attributes. The full list is here:
https://github.com/wireless-broadband-alliance/RADIUS-VSA

Vendor id 40808 seems to have started directly with name "Wi-Fi
Alliance" about late 2012. These attributes currently have prefix WFA-
in Radiator's dictionary.

Thanks,
Heikki

--