[RADIATOR] Strange behaviour with FarmSize 0

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Dec 10 16:30:34 UTC 2020

On 8.12.2020 10.44, Patrik Forsberg wrote:

> I had a bit of a problem while debugging a issue with AuthBy RADSEC so I went from FarmSize 5 to FarmSize 0 to eliminate any farm issue but that seem to trigger some odd behavior.
> Instead of proxying the request to any of the Host's specified in <AuthBy RADSEC> it started to send the request to 127.0.0.1 for some reason ?

Zero is defined, therefore it's not currently same as not defining
FarmSize at all. What happens is that because FarmSize is defined, a
farm is created but then its not correctly initialised because there are
no workers.

> Nothing but FarmSize was changed so that is what triggered this.
>
> I can also confirm that setting FarmSize to 1 keeps the "correct" behavior so it seem to the the number 0 triggering this.

I would use 1 in your case. This creates a supervisor process and a
worker. The supervisor does not process requests and only makes sure the
workers are running. In other words, FarmSize 1 does not run into issues
such as the ones you noticed with TACACS+.

> Is this a "bugg" or working as intended ?

It's buggy behaviour because it does not lead to anything useful but
it's not currently handled reasonably.

> (The reason for using FarmSize 0 is because I have FarmSize as a variable so I wouldn't have to change the configuration more then necessary)

One should be fine. We'll need to make sure that zero won't be accepted
in the future versions.

Thanks for lettings us know about this!
Heikki

anywhere. SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, TACACS+, PAM, Active Directory,
EAP, TLS, TTLS, PEAP, WiMAX, RSA, Vasco, Yubikey, HOTP, TOTP,
DIAMETER etc. Full source on Unix, Windows, MacOSX, Solaris, VMS, etc.