[RADIATOR] mysql DBI timed out connections and too many open files (sockets)

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Apr 20 08:10:06 UTC 2017

On 14.4.2017 13.56, Rauno Tuul wrote:

> The issue occurs, when attempting to establish a connection. For example
> the host is totally down or firewalled.
> Is the TCP connection has been established, then there's no problem.

Thanks for confirming this. I talked with one of our people about this
and he said the problem could not be reproduced. What he used was not a
Debian 8. Also, web search did not turn up similar problems, so this
looks like something that is not a universal problem.

In other words, no real update on this yet.

> Easy way to reproduce the issue, is to drop mysql traffic with iptables.
> Example setup:
>          <AuthBy SQL>
>                  DBSource                dbi:mysql:dbname:127.0.0.1:3306
>                  Timeout                 1
>                  FailureBackoffTime      1
> Then drop the traffic with 'iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p tcp -m tcp
> --dport 3306 -j DROP' and hit the instance with radpwtst every second.
> If the debian systemd set the open file limit to 1024, then the instance
> will collapse within 20 minutes.

Thanks for this additional information. I have made a note about this.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.