[RADIATOR] mysql DBI timed out connections and too many open files (sockets)

Rauno Tuul raunz at hot.ee
Fri Apr 14 10:56:28 UTC 2017

Hi,

The issue occurs, when attempting to establish a connection. For example
the host is totally down or firewalled.
Is the TCP connection has been established, then there's no problem.

Easy way to reproduce the issue, is to drop mysql traffic with iptables.
Example setup:
        <AuthBy SQL>
                DBSource                dbi:mysql:dbname:127.0.0.1:3306
                Timeout                 1
                FailureBackoffTime      1
Then drop the traffic with 'iptables -A INPUT -i lo -p tcp -m tcp
--dport 3306 -j DROP' and hit the instance with radpwtst every second.
If the debian systemd set the open file limit to 1024, then the instance
will collapse within 20 minutes.

kind regards,
--
rauno