[RADIATOR] Windows Client with EAP auth

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 03:41:39 CDT 2016

hi,

On 09/14/2016 07:03 AM, Heikki Vatiainen wrote:

>> We use Radiator as radius server, Windows as WiFi client,
>> it looks like windows will use system name as radius’s username.
>> Can radiator return a message to client to let windows user input their wifi login information instead of OS default name?
>
> One other option might be a separate setup utility that creates the
> profile. Please let me know if you are interested in these, I can ask
> here about vendors our staff may know.

Maybe the eduroam Configuration Assistance Tool (CAT) is worth
mentioning. It supports Windows, Apple iOS, Apple OS X, Android & Linux
clients. Haven't used it myself, but it's under active development by
the eduroam community.

https://cat.eduroam.org/

*if* you are an eduroam member.  if not, there is the alternative http://802.1x-config.org/

other commercial tools that have wider platform support include XpressConnect and XpressConnect SE
from Cloudpath - now Brocade/ruckus,  Aruba Clearpass onboarding and SecureW2

however, the initial question is client configuration. the client needs to be configured properly...if not, the initial host/username jun will be rejected...the client may then ask the user to try logging in -
a basic OS/client method is pretty much ask user to trust RADIUS server presented (most users just click yes/okay) and then ask for credentials... not too good at all. proper configuration by profile deployment
is much better

alan