[RADIATOR] help diagnosing failure to connect to LDAP

Jennifer Mehl jennifer.mehl at ucsb.edu
Tue May 10 17:49:10 CDT 2016

Hello,

I’ve been using Radiator to support various services over the years.  Today, I’m working on setting up a new RADIUS client/handler, and am having trouble diagnosing why connections from Radiator to an LDAP server are failing.

Using the ldapsearch command from the same system, using the same AuthDN/password yields a successful result.

I’m wondering if there is an error being kicked off somewhere from the LDAP or SSL Perl modules that I can’t see.  Or is there an open/broken connection to the LDAP server being cached somewhere that needs a “reset?”

I’ve turned on Trace 5 in radius.cfg and “Debug 255” in the AuthByLDAP2 clause, but not seeing a lot in the logs about the reason for the failure.

I’d appreciate some assistance in tracking this down.

thank you,
Jennifer

Error message:
--------------------
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: DEBUG: Handling with Radius::AuthGROUP:
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: DEBUG: Handling with Radius::AuthLDAP2: *redacted*
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: INFO: Connecting to *redacted*:636
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: ERR: Could not open LDAP connection to *redacted*:636. Backing off for 60 seconds.
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: DEBUG: Radius::AuthGROUP: redacted result: IGNORE, User database access error
Tue May 10 15:10:10 2016: DEBUG: AuthBy GROUP result: IGNORE, User database access error

Handler file:
----------------

<Handler NAS-IP-Address = *redacted*>
  Identifier *redacted*