[RADIATOR] Is the Radiator NFV customizable?

Tuure Vartiainen vartiait at open.com.au
Tue Jun 28 02:43:18 CDT 2016

Hello,

> On 27 Jun 2016, at 10:34, Nadav Hod <nadav.hod at comm-it.co.il> wrote:
>
> I have the impression that the VNF is much like an appliance, where the only interface the user has with the VNF is the configuration file. I was hoping the amazing Radiator team could clear up the following issues:

yes, VNF is a kind of an software appliance which is meant to be configured through different interfaces.

> 1) Is the operating system (CentOS if I recall correctly) fully writeable so that other applications can interface with Radiator (such as logrotate, rsync etc.)?

Yes. Radiator VNF is not restricted to using CentOS, but we are using CentOS as a base Linux distribution
for Radiator VNF. Adaptation for Ubuntu/Debian will require some work but it is feasible.

> 2) Can patches (including security) be applied to the underlying OS? Does this void warranty?

Yes, patches can be applied and do not void warranty/support.

> 3) Are there any common use cases when it's best not to use Radiator as NFV?

Radiator VNF is meant for AAA cases which require scaling for performance, either
automatically or manually.

> 4) Does the VNF include all the common perl modules necessary for Radiator? Can more be installed and updated?

Yes. Modules can be updated and more modules can be installed.

> 5) What are the specs for the VNF? Is there any resource allocation necessary from the hypervisor's side?

Radiator VNF does not have any strict requirements. Currently we are running Radiator VNF on
OpenStack, but it can also be adapted to run on a bare metal hardware or in VMware vCloud.

Default minimum HA setup of Radiator VNF consists of 11 virtual machines:

- 2 Radiator load balancers (RADIUS or Diameter)
- 2 Radiator AAA workers (number of workers scales according to load)
- 3 Database/message broker nodes
- 2 External database connector nodes (LDAP, SQL, RADIUS or Diameter)
- 2 Management nodes

With OpenStack, creating Radiator VNF stack is automated through its Heat orchestration.

BR
--
Tuure Vartiainen <vartiait at open.com.au>

NetWare etc.