[RADIATOR] Suggestion: Support of TLS Session Resumption based on tickets and not just session IDs

Nadav Hod nadav.hod at comm-it.co.il
Tue Oct 27 03:23:22 CDT 2015

Hi Heikki,

According to:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831771.aspx

RFC 5077 (Session Tickets based TLS Session resumption, aka TLS Session Resumption without Server-Side State) is implemented as of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012R2. So along with Windows 10, that's 16% of the desktop market share according to:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

As for browsers, Chrome and Firefox support RFC 5077 for over five years. That's over 40% of the browser market share. For the purposes of Radiator, the more interesting statistic would be the OS support.

The needs for tickets that come to mind are the following:
1) They relieve the server of maintaining session cache (very useful in mid-large deployments).
2) They make it easy to load balance TLS sessions since the server needs only to decrypt the ticket provided by the client and not maintain a database which is shared between the servers.
3) The fact that there is no need to maintain a TLS session database may make it a more secure solution in certain architectures since there is no need to keep sessions on a persistent storage (and thus compromise perfect forward secrecy). That may make it more difficult for a malicious user to attain the session tickets, but that's just my guess.

I'm sure there are plenty of upstanding ladies and gents in this mailing list which can discuss the merits and demerits of session tickets better than I, perhaps they'd like to chime in.

There is an interesting post about a use case of the two Session Resumption methods here:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/tls-session-resumption-full-speed-and-secure/