[RADIATOR] Log file encoding

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Jun 18 03:36:56 CDT 2015

On 18.6.2015 10.46, Tim Jones wrote:

> Essentially what I have been specced to build, but it's a
> batch-processing after-the-fact, so we only have the log files to go on.
> I will suggest the idea of logging to something else in addition to
> files (Syslog\SQL) but I have been rebuffed in the past on this same
> point.

What if you use something like Logstash? It can do similar to 'tail -f'
to read the log file and forward the new entries as they are written
into the log file.

> Are there plans to add support for this? Looking into it it seems that,
> for Perl, simply having a call to open(FILE, ">>$filename") replaced
> with open(FILE, '>>:encoding(UTF-8)', $filename) should do the trick.
> Since it looks as if all log file writing is done via
> Radius::Util::append, would it be a hard feature to add?

There are no plans yet, but I'll make a note about this.

Meanwhile, check the 4.14 patches and goodies/logformat.cfg. The
LogFormatHook is already present in 4.14 and the patches now have more
examples about how to use it. You might be able to use the hooks to make
sure the logs are formatted as required.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.