[RADIATOR] F5 and Radius - Load Balancing Not Working

Ernst Oudhof e.oudhof at mailfrom.nl
Fri Jul 24 14:53:46 CDT 2015

Roberto,

I wrote the following iRule some time ago to loadbalance based on
calling-station-id. It loadbalances based on a hash of the
calling-station-id so it doesn't require a state table on the F5. It works
fine with wired and wireless auth since the calling-station-id is the
mac-address of the client in these cases.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

    set calling_station_id [RADIUS::avp 31 "string"]

    #log local0. "Radius type: [RADIUS::code] Calling-station-id:
$calling_station_id"

    if { $calling_station_id != "" } {

        set pool [LB::server pool]

        binary scan [md5 $calling_station_id] w1 hash

        set picked [lindex [active_members -list $pool] [expr $hash %
[active_members $pool]]]

        pool $pool member [lindex $picked 0]

        #log local0. "pool $pool member [lindex $picked 0] selected"

    }

    else {

        log local0. "no calling-station-id in radius packet"

    }

}

Regards,

Ernst