[RADIATOR] Trace Level and ServerFarm

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Fri Jul 3 03:44:09 CDT 2015

On 07/02/2015 02:09 PM, Jose Borges Ferreira wrote:

> I noticed that when I run Radiator with FarmSize > 1 the trace change
> via kill -USR[12] only applies to the parent process.

Hello Jose, thanks for your comments. You are correct, the farm parent
does not send USR1 or USR2 signals to the forked instances.

Propagating USR1 and USR2 to all instances is a good idea. I do not see
a reason why not to make this the default action.

> After digging into radiusd I corrected this in two different ways:
>
>  1. Patch the code ( in annex )
>  2. Configured USR1Hook and USR2Hook to have similar behaviour .

> The alternative is to send the KILL sign to all children via

These three are all good ideas. We'll take a look at the options, but
I'd say the best option might be to predefine USR1 and USR2 hooks so
that they signal the workers.

The reason is that in case someone needs to debug just the parent, they
can still do this by defining the hooks to not signal the children. I
can see this might happen when the parent has been configured to do run
tasks that need to be run by only one instance.

In any case, all options can go into the documentation too. It's
sometimes useful to debug just individual instance(s) and the direct
'kill -USR...' is a good hint how to do this.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.