[RADIATOR] AuthRADIUS : Could not find a working host to forward messages

Ullfig, Roberto rullfig at uic.edu
Fri Sep 5 01:39:50 CDT 2014

Hello,

with the semester just beginning we find that our Radius services (using UDP) can't keep up. The servers themselves are pretty much idle. We're using 3 load balancers and AuthBy HASHBALANCE - connecting to 7 radius instances on 5 different servers (RHEL 6). We've been running like this for a few years. At peak we're authenticating ~15 users a second but we're now seeing tons of these messages (128231 on Thursday) on the load balancers and lots of users can't connect:

AuthRADIUS : Could not find a working host to forward messages

We're having a hard time determining the bottleneck. Should we just add a whole bunch of new instances on these idle servers?

---
Roberto Ullfig - ACCC Research Programmer
rullfig at uic.edu