[RADIATOR] logging (radiator and authlog) and accounting to ElasticSearch

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Mar 27 14:43:49 CDT 2014

On 03/27/2014 05:22 PM, Hartmaier Alexander wrote:

> Did you have time to work on this feature?

We have worked on EAP-SIM, Diameter and other RADIUS functionality, but
not this. It's still on the ideas to explore list, though.

> I've started tring to get all Radiator logs into Elasticsearch via
> RabbitMQ and found out that <Log FILE> also closes the pipe in case of
> Filename |/etc/radiator/log_to_rabbitmq.pl which is a performance problem.

It makes the log files easy to rotate, but I can see why it's not good
in this case.

> The comment in Radius::Util::append says:
> # Current implementation opens, writes and closes
> # Future implementations might hold the file open, and reopen on
> # signal, or perhaps pipe to a daemon
>
> I need a feature that keeps the spawned (forked?) process open and pipe
> to it.
> I'd also need to escape the log message so my JSON doesn't break in case
> the message contains one or more ".
>
> LogFormat { "timestamp":"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S", "priority":"%1",
> "message":"%2" }

Hmm, maybe a new class that could be configured to support the above? It
would need to be able to quote the log messages, maybe a configurable
method for different kinds of destinations (JSON, etc), hold the fd open
while supporting FarmSize and possibly something else too. I'd say
extending Log FILE may not be a good idea but to have a new logging class.

If you already have something that does what you require on the <Log
...> side, please get back to me directly.

Thanks,
Heikki

NetWare etc.