[RADIATOR] ipv6::: bind results in no match on IPv4 client

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Jun 26 20:36:30 CDT 2013

Hello Jason -

According to section 5.5 in the Radiator 4.11 reference manual ("doc/ref.pdf") you need to specify both ipv6 and ipv4 like this:

BindAddress  ipv6:::, 0.0.0.0

5.5 Address binding

One of the main functions of Radiator is to listen for UDP packets and TCP connections from other systems according to the Radiator configuration. The various Radiator clauses that can accept packets or connections from other systems all support the BindAddress parameter, which controls which IP addresses Radiator will listen on. IP packets sent to an IP address which is on the Radiator host, but which Radiator has not bound with BindAddress will not be received by Radiator.

The driver for this is that a single host may have multiple IP addresses, and those addresses may be IPV4, IPV6 and/or IPV4-over-IPV6. You may require Radiator to only honour requests directed to one of or a subset of the IP addresses for the host.

With BindAddress you can control which destination IP addresses Radiator will accept. You can specify one or more IPV4 or IPV6 addresses, including wildcard addresses. You can specifiy one or more comma separated bind addresses in the BindAddress parameter. The following forms may be used:

	• 0.0.0.0 (the default) Any IPV4 address on the host

	• 1.2.3.4 A specific IPV4 address on the host

	• ipv6::: Any IPV6 address on the host (and this may include any IPV4-over-IPV6 address, depending on how the host is configured

	• ipv6:2001:610:148:100::31 A specific IPV6 address on the host They may be combined in one BindAddress parameter like so:

BindAddress 0.0.0.0
BindAddress 192.87.30.31,ipv6:2001:610:148:dead::31
BindAddress ipv6:::, 0.0.0.0

Hint: Linux also has a special file to control the system wide behaviour: /proc/sys/net/ipv6/bindv6only

By default this seems to be 0. When it is 0, this will not work as expected: BindAddress ipv6:::, 0.0.0.0
But if it is set to 1, the IPV6 bind wil not include the IPV4 bind and will work as expected.

Hint: In order to support IPV6 address, you must install the Perl Socket6 module.