[RADIATOR] AuthBy DIAMETER

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Aug 5 08:04:25 CDT 2013

Hi,

> We are now preparing initial release of Radius to Diameter translation
> gateway for Radiator.  Currently we have implemented limited support for
> DIAMETER base RFC 6377 and full support for NASREQ RFC 4005.

You should probably not care about RC4005 any more. Its successor is
almost ready, and was specifically created to address major deficiencies
in RFC4005. The deficiencies were to such an extent that common belief
in the IETF is "nobody uses this".

See here for the successor draft spec:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-rfc4005bis/

> Our implementation is ready for public beta testing and we are looking
> for volunteers for testing our translation gateway.
>
> If you are willing to test our Radius to Diameter translation gateway,
> please reply directly to me and tell me about your intended test
> environment and test plans.

Out of curiosity: one of the many problems of RFC4005 was that it was
syntactically impossible to translate a Diameter attribute of length
>253 Bytes into a RADIUS attribute; for obvious reasons.

RADIUS has meanwhile specified "long" attributes, making this
translation possible. Does your Diameter gateway already include support
for extended RADIUS attributes? I'm speaking of RFC6929:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6929/

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--