[RADIATOR] Radiator CPU Usage

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Tue May 8 06:00:56 CDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 06:08 AM, Bernard Aoun wrote:

Hello Bernard,

> I would like to know if there is a way to for a radiator service on a
> windows 2003 quad core CPU to use and work on more than one core.

With Windows you need to start multiple instances. See the reference
manual section "6.0 radiusd" and there the Windows specific options such
as -installservice and -servicename.

One possibility is to run the instances so that they listen to different
AuthPorts and AcctPorts and receive requests directly from NASes. For
this you would need to configure the NASes to send requests to different
ports.

Another possibility is to run one instance (frontend) that proxies
requests to multiple backend instances that do the actual
authentication. The backend instances need only listen to loopback
interface 127.0.0.1 (but different ports). The frontend uses a suitable
proxy algorithm (AuthBy ROUNDROBIN, HASHBALANCE, EAPBALANCE) to proxy
the incoming requests to backend instances.

> Currently the Perl service is only running on a single core out of the 4
> available.

That's correct. You need to have multiple instances to utilise all the
cores.

Thanks!
Heikki

NetWare etc.