[RADIATOR] Radiator monitoring solutions

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 02:34:46 CST 2012

Hi,

> On Jan 12, 2012, at 6:31, Hugh Irvine <hugh at open.com.au> wrote:
>

> > Hello Everyone -
> >
> > I have been asked by one of our customers to suggest good monitoring solutions for Radiator.
> >
> > Some suggestions I have heard include our own Radar tool, Solarwinds, Splunk, Cactii and whatever SNMP tool they are aleady using.
> >
> > What suggestions does the list have?

depends on what monitoring and type of monitoring you need to do eg

RADAR - well, you know what that does ;-)

NAGIOS/Solarwinds - can be used for a multitude of things - eg testing authentication works (RADIUS
plugins), using SNMP to monitor server, using PING to check server is alive, using SNMP/NRPE etc to check
that the server has >5% free disk space etc

splunk - view logs - particularly syslogs - of course, only handy if you've configured logging and
syslogging ;-)

munin/RTG/Cacti - view graphs showing numbers of authentications - successful or failed, server
uptime, disk space (trend graphs)

monit - process checker - restart the services if they arent there, report/alert if they fail

my personal favourites are NAGIOS, logwatch, syslog-NG, monitand munin. I cant see why you'd
pay for such tools when the free ones are far more powerful and flexible  ;-)

- of course, you might be limited by what platform you run RADIATOR on - if you run on
Windows, for example, there are other options for monitoring, alerts, log viewing etc

alan