[RADIATOR] Radiator clustering on linux

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed Jun 22 06:52:41 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Félix Enrique Llorente Pastora wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    We are running radiator in two linux boxes with a software round
> robin load balancer in front of it.
>
>   When we do proxy from Access and Acct message looks like we are
> loosing messages.

this will not work if you expect the reply to the load balancer and it
will randomly distribute it to a server without keeping state.

You could consider sending the proxy request from the radius servers
onw address so the reply would go the the correct server.

But even this would propably break for more complex authentication
like chap or most eap variants that exchange multiple packets between
nas and radius for a single request.

>   Looking at the code looks like you have a hashmap wich store info
> about where to response the proxy messages.
>
>  Is there a way to have this table shared between the two radiator
> instances (we have try with the mysql SessionDatabase but it doesn't work)

not at the moment.  You would either have to dispose of the load
balancer or use one that understands radius and keeps state.

Personally I wouldn't use a load balacner for two radius servers but
would simple configure both servers in a all clients. Failover comes
naturally with radius.

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
CK Software GmbH

> BR
>
> Quique.

Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Wildberger Weg 24/2
Phone:   +49 7032 893 997 - 0          D-71126 Gaeufelden
Fax:     +49 7032 893 997 - 9          HRB 245288, Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Web:     http://www.cksoft.de/         Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian Kratzer