[RADIATOR] Problem after adding <SNMPAgent> when I use the -c option

Heikki Vatiainen hvn at open.com.au
Thu Jan 13 06:40:41 CST 2011

On 01/13/2011 12:01 PM, Gerard Alcorlo Bofill wrote:
> Hi Hugh,

Not Hugh, but I'll try my best :)

> I'm using the latest patched Radiator version 4.7.
> After adding to my Radiator config file the <SNMPAgent> option, I'm
> getting this error.
>
> # /usr/local/bin/radiusd -c -config_file /etc/radiator/config.cfg
> Error:
>   creating socket: Address already in use
>  at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Radius/SNMPAgent.pm line 574
> Thu Jan 13 10:21:16 2011: ERR: Could not open SNMP Agent port 1161 on
> X.X.X.X: Address already in use
> Thu Jan 13 10:21:16 2011: DEBUG: Finished reading configuration file
> '/etc/radiator/config.cfg'

Since the port is 1161, you have probably specified "Port 1161" for
<SNMPAgent>.

The error indicates something else is already using this port. Please
check that this port is not specified in any AuthPort, AcctPort or any
other configuration keyword elsewhere in the configuration. Or do you
already have another process using that port?

> The -c option (from the reference manual):
> Parse the configuration file, reporting errors in the usual way, then exit.
>
> In my opinion this extra check wouldn't need to be done. Do you think
> I'm right? Are you going to change this behaviour?

I am not aware of plans to change this behaviour. Activating the modules
to see if e.g., a port can be used does reveal errors in configuration
that simple parsing would not find. This does make testing a bit
problematic on a production server, but gives better results if you have
a dedicated server for testing.

NetWare etc.