[RADIATOR] Radiator performance problem with specific hardware

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Wed Sep 1 08:20:15 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Kukas Damjan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are having problems with Radiator performance while using specific hardware and software.
> The hardware we're using is:
> CPU: Sun SPARC T5140 - having 2 x SunSparc 1.2Ghz CPU, each CPU having 8 cores, and each core simulates 8 virtual processors, so system has 128 virtual (logical) processors
>
> The software we're using:
> OS: Solaris 10
> Radiator 4.5.1.
>
> The performance problem appears when using more than 64 workers defined in FarmSize parameter. If we use more than 64 workers, number of requests per second drops drastically (measured values: with 64 workers- 5400 requests/second, 128 workers - 1200 requests/second). By doing some specific tests we've come to conclusion that problem
> lies somewhere in simultaneous multiple read/write to socket (UDP queue) mechanism.

from your description this does sound a lot like your are hitting a lock contention
issue in the operating system ( solaris ).

If you have enough Requests to saturate that many cores you might try splitting the
radiator into for example 4 instances on separate ports with each instance having a
farm of 32 workers.

That would give you 4 separate udp queues to 4 separate farms and might
perhaps get you around your operating system issue.

Of course you would have to distribute the load to the 4 instances
either directly from your radius clients or via other means. I do not know
if this is an option in your situation.

Greetings
Christian Kratzer
CK Software GmbH

--
Christian Kratzer                      CK Software GmbH
Email:   ck at cksoft.de                  Schwarzwaldstr. 31