[RADIATOR] Multiple radiator instances on single server?

Gregory Fuller gregory.fuller at oswego.edu
Thu Oct 7 09:42:10 CDT 2010

I'd like to go through and separate out my authentication, accounting,
and tacacsplus radiator configurations each into its own separate
radiator instance on the same server.  One radiator process would run
just the radius authentication, one process for radius accounting, and
one process for all tacacsplus auth/accounting.  I'm running Radiator
4.5 under CentOS 5.4.

I know I can start another process from the commad line and pass my
different config files into it without any problems.  Within the
config files I have separated out the different parts of the config
for each operation and made sure only the port #'s I want to listen on
are listed in the configs.

How are most places handling the running of multiple radiator
instances on the same server using the standard RedHat/CentOS
"services" functionalty?  Did you copy and rename /etc/init.d/radiator
for each one of the services and modify each service script to load
different config files on startup?

Just trying to figure out the best way to manage this.  I'd like to be
able to do something like the following:

For radius authentication:	service radiator start
For radius accounting:	service radiator-acct start
For tacacs auth/accounting:	service radiator-tacacs start

Any sample RedHat/CentOS service config files for doing this would be
appreciated also.  Thanks!

--greg

Gregory A. Fuller - CCNA
Network Manager