[RADIATOR] Hello guys - losing some "calls" when I get some peaks (per second)

Ricardo Freitas rff at t2change.com
Mon Nov 8 12:25:26 CST 2010

Hey guys

I have been using Radioator for the past years (from 2006) and it is
mainly used to get calls, validating them and then saving them in a
database.

The whole system has been working smoothly until now, where we have more
calls than ever.

The main problem isn't with the number of calls in a whole, but in the
time frame they are received. From what I could learn, I think we manage
to successfully account for, more or less, 130 calls in a certain second
where the rest of the incoming calls are either lost or, and this is
where my doubt is, saved in a temporary cache.

I don't know where or how to configure this but I would like to know if
it is possible to increase this cache size or, at least, know how is it
configure.

Let me refrain that ALL calls appear on the radius server in the log
files with all their specific info (msisdn, alias, date of call, etc)
but not on the database, somehow they are not getting sent to the database.

Let me just explain with an example.

Imagine a certain second or seconds where you have 100, 60, 70 and 50
calls on four consecutive seconds. All calls are saved in the database
(well, you can lose one or two).

Now lets step it up a notch. Imagine you have 4 consecutive seconds with
130, 180, 200, 170 calls. This time, and despite ALL the calls are saved
in the radius log servers, some of them are not passed through the mysql
database server, to be more specific in this case we generally lose 1/3
or so of the calls (higher the number, higher the loss - we guess the
"safe" mark is 130 - above that all hell breaks loose).

Do you guys have any idea how to solve this?

Currently configuration - at least what I can tell you know - we have 6
routers connected to our radius server, with four different instances on
the server - my guess, this was to distribute the load of the routers in
a more share way.

First things first: is there a place where I can check the so called
cache? I mean, when we have lower load seconds, the database sometimes
has MORE calls that the radius itself which makes me believe it's
somehow dumping the cached calls..

Thanks a lot, this is getting very problematic.

Ricardo F