[RADIATOR] AuthBy File and EAPAnonymous

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Sun May 23 02:28:14 CDT 2010

Hello Craig -

As you have discovered, the AuthBy FILE will work no matter what actual users are defined.

And yes it will work if the user specifies anything at all - this is because the outer Handler is only negotiating the tunnel - the user is actually checked by the inner Handler when the user credentials arrive via the tunnel.

On 22 May 2010, at 07:49, craigsimons at sfu.ca wrote:

> Just a quick question regarding handing tunnelled protocol outer requests. I've been using file AuthBy below to handle incoming PEAP/TTLS requets. I originally set it up to check a file with the username "anonymous". However, while testing I commented out the Filename attribute and forgot about it. Now, upon re-examining the config, I'm trying to understand why it still works even though it's not checking any file. Is this because of the EAPAnonymous %0 attribute? If this is the case, is it reasonable to assume that this handler will work even if the users specifies something other than "anonymous"?
>
> <AuthBy FILE>
> 	#Say my name!
> 	Identifier AuthByDot1xAnonymous
>
> 	#No default user exists
> 	NoDefault
>
> 	#File name
> 	#Filename %D/dot1x_anon.conf
>
> 	# EAP Types accepted
> 	EAPType TTLS, PEAP
>
> 	# Overwrite the outer tunnel userid with the inner tunnel userid
> 	EAPAnonymous %0
>
> 	# EAP Config
> 	EAPTLS_CAFile %D\cacert.pem
> 	EAPTLS_CertificateFile %D\cert.pem