[RADIATOR] Need your help on setting up NTLM for Radiator

Jhonny Freire de Oliveira joliveira at reitoria.ul.pt
Fri Feb 12 06:42:03 CST 2010

Hi,

Now I see why I should document every configuration I make :-)

Here it goes:

HOWTO setup Radiator to authenticate in Active Directory top level domain (using NTLM/MSCHAPv2) and domain childs

Assuming your (AD) domain is mydomain.pt (top level domain), netbios MYDOMAIN, your radius server is radius01.mydomain.pt and your AD servers are mydomain-dc01.mydomain.pt and mydomain-dc02.mydomain.pt

1- Configure network and host/fqdn properly

2- install winbind (you don't need to install samba)

3- configure kerberos
Sample:
# cat /etc/krb5.conf
[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 dns_lookup_realm = true
 dns_lookup_kdc = true

[realms]
 MYDOMAIN.PT = {
  kdc = mydomain.pt:88
  admin_server = mydomain.pt:749
  default_domain = MYDOMAIN.PT
 }

[domain_realm]
 .mydomain.pt = MYDOMAIN.PT
  mydomain.pt = MYDOMAIN.PT

[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[appdefaults]
 pam = {
   debug = false
   ticket_lifetime = 36000
   renew_lifetime = 36000
   forwardable = true
   krb4_convert = false
 }

4- Configure winbind (same file as samba)
Sample:

# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
netbios name = RADIUS01

security = ADS
;password server = *
password server = mydomain-dc01.mydomain.pt mydomain-dc02.mydomain.pt
encrypt passwords = yes

idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

realm = MYDOMAIN.PT

;Optional
;;;
winbind use default domain = no
winbind trusted domains only = no
allow trusted domains = yes
client schannel = no
;;;

log level = 3
;log file = /var/log/samba/%m
;max log size = 50

5- Join radius01.mydomain.pt to mydomain.pt AD domain, you can use any user that has enough privileges to join a domain. After joining you should see a new computer in your AD computer default container

net ads join -U administrator

6- If it works, start winbind (don't forget to activate automatic startup, unless you want to start it by yourself every time you start your system)

7- Teste it (note: everytime I run this tests after having winbind running for a while, winbind crashes, and I have to restart it :-(, old version in a very old OS):

#list of trusted domains
wbinfo -m
#list of available group...
wbinfo -g

8- Configure radiator
# cat /etc/radiator/radius.cfg

#(...)
<AuthBy NTLM>
        Identifier Auth4Tunneled
        UsernameFormat %U
        DomainFormat %R
        EAPType MSCHAP-V2
</AuthBy>

<Handler  TunnelledByPEAP=1, Client-Identifier=wism >
        AuthBy Auth4Tunneled
</Handler>

<Handler  TunnelledByTTLS=1, Client-Identifier=wism >
        AuthBy Auth4Tunneled
</Handler>

<Handler Realm = /mydomain\.pt$/i>
#       MaxSessions 2
        <AuthBy NTLM>
                EAPType PEAP, TTLS

                EAPTLS_CAFile /etc/radiator/certs/GS-sureserverEDU.pem
                EAPTLS_CertificateFile /etc/radiator/certs/mycert.pem
                EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
                EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile /etc/radiator/certs/mycert.key
                EAPTLS_MaxFragmentSize 1000

                AutoMPPEKeys
                SSLeayTrace 2

                EAPTLS_PEAPVersion 0
                EAPAnonymous %0
        </AuthBy>
        AcctLogFileName %L/%R-%m-%Y.detail
</Handler>
#(...)

9- Restart radiator

10- Login in whatever your radius client is with: myusername at mydomain.pt or myusername at mydomainchild.mydomain.pt, ....

Final notes:

In Kerberos and winbind configuration there a few variables that are optional (local machine authentication is also done through Kerberos), some that are redundant and some that where always there, but it works! :-)

Feel free to make a fancy HOWTO and share it with the community :-)

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Jhonny Freire Oliveira    Núcleo de Informática e Comunicações da UL
joliveira at reitoria.ul.pt  Reitoria da UL,  Alameda  da  Universidade