[RADIATOR] radiator secondary server.

--shashi-- shashi at callforeign.com
Tue May 26 02:19:47 CDT 2009

Hi Roy,

There are some situations to consider.

1. If your radius is just for authentication, you can setup identical
services in 2 servers, and use some sort of a copy/hot backup in mysql
to replicate the primary database to the secondary database.

2. If you use radius for accounting also, then when your primary server
is down, all accounting is done on the secondary server, and when the
primary comes up, it automatically shifts to the primary server. If your
setup deals with user accounting and balances (voip, prepaid isp minutes
etc), then you will end up with 2 different databases with different
balances and usage records.

The best way is to use one dedicated mysql server for database, and run
2 radius servers, keeping the database same. You can backup the database
periodically using backup tools.

Regards,

Shashi Dahal
Technical Director