[RADIATOR] Radius problem

Colin Byelong c.byelong at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 05:27:00 CST 2009

Hi,

We have been using radiator to authenticate our wireless users and
provide EAP-TTLS support in our wireless infrastructure.
The server is running a old version of radiator 4.3.1 and we have been
trying to move to new hardware and a new version of radiator.

Most of our requests come from one NAS when we introduce the new server
everything looks good then after ~1 hour we stop seeing requests from
the NAS this may be load related as we tend to swap the box at the start
of the day.
We have tried restarting the system when this happens but we still cant
see requests from the NAS, when we revert to the old server thats using
the same config file everything starts working again.

Has anyone seen anything similar ?

Is there any "load limits" on the server that would cause this behaviour ?
Can we adjust queues or buffers to cope with many requests from the same
host ?

#
Foreground
LogStdout
LogDir .
DbDir .
#
#Logfiles
#
<Log FILE>
  Filename %L/radiator.%Y_%m_%d.log
  LogIdent  log-file
  Trace     4
</Log>
#
#
#
#
#Use port 1812 for Authentication
AuthPort 1812,1645
#Use port 1813 for accounting
AcctPort 1813,1646
Trace 4
#
#
#
#
#Logging for users with no realm
#
#
<AuthLog FILE>
  Identifier AUTH-DENY-NOREALM
  Filename %L/NOREALM-deny-%d-%m-%y.log
  FailureFormat %1:%T from Client:%c %a (%C) %n from NAS:%N
  LogSuccess 0
  LogFailure 1
</AuthLog>
#
#
#Logging for NRPS
#
<AuthLog FILE>
  Identifier NRPSSTATS
  Filename %L/NRPS-STATS-%Y-%m-%d.log
  SuccessFormat %l: from Client:%c(NAS:%N) User=%u Reply-User
=%{Reply:User-Name} :OK
  FailureFormat %l: from Client:%c(NAS:%N) User=%u:FAIL
  LogSuccess 1
  LogFailure 1
</AuthLog>
#
#
#
#Logfile for local users
<AuthLog FILE>
  Identifier LOCALUSERS
  Filename %L/localusers.%Y-%m-%d.log
  SuccessFormat :%l:%o %T:%{Calling-Station-Id} from %u at %N:OK
  FailureFormat :%l:%o %T from %u at %N:FAIL
  LogSuccess 1
  LogFailure 1
</AuthLog>
#
#Logfile for local pap
<AuthLog FILE>
  Identifier UCL_PAP
  Filename %L/UCLPAP.%Y-%m-%d.log
  SuccessFormat :%l:%o %T from %u at %N:OK
  FailureFormat :%l:%o %T from %u at %N:FAIL
  LogSuccess 1
  LogFailure 1
</AuthLog>
#
#

<Client roaming0.ja.net>
     Secret <REMOVED>
    StatusServerShowClientDetails
     Identifier    NRPS
    StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
    NoIgnoreDuplicates Accounting-Request
</Client>
#
#
#
#
<Client roaming1.ja.net>
      Secret <REMOVED>
      StatusServerShowClientDetails
      Identifier    NRPS
     StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
    NoIgnoreDuplicates Accounting-Request
</Client>
#
#
<Client roaming2.ja.net>
      Secret <REMOVED>
      StatusServerShowClientDetails
      Identifier    NRPS
      StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
    NoIgnoreDuplicates Accounting-Request
</Client>

#
<Client localhost>
       Secret <REMOVED>
       DupInterval 0
</Client>
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
<Client DEFAULT>
       Secret <REMOVED>
        DupInterval 2
       StatusServerShowClientDetails
</Client>
#
#Handlers with authentication
<Handler TunnelledByTTLS=1>
   RewriteUsername   s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
      RewriteUsername   tr/A-Z/a-z/
      AcctLogFileName   %L/ucl-detail.%m%y
        <AuthBy LDAP2>
#               Identifier  UCL
               Host   <REMOVED>

               # Microsoft AD also listens on port 3268, and
               # requests received on that port are reported to be
               # more compliant with standfard LDAP, so you may want to use:
               # Port 3268

               AuthDN cn=locindnet,ou=System
Users,dc=uclusers,dc=ucl,dc=ac,dc=uk
#               AuthPassword    yourADadminpasswordhere
               AuthPassword    <REMOVED>
               BaseDN ou=departments,dc=uclusers,dc=ucl,dc=ac,dc=uk
               ServerChecksPassword
              EAPType MSCHAP-V2,TTLS,PAP,PEAP
               UsernameAttr sAMAccountName
              # EncryptedPasswordAttr sn
#
#                AuthAttrDef logonHours,MS-Login-Hours,check

</AuthBy>
#
#
#
 AuthLog LOCALUSERS
  </Handler>
#
#
#EAPOUTER
<Handler Realm=ucl.ac.uk, EAP-Message = /.+/>
RewriteUsername   s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
      RewriteUsername   tr/A-Z/a-z/
      AcctLogFileName   %L/ucl-detail.eapout.%m%y
          <AuthBy FILE>
             Filename %D/users
              EAPType TTLS,pap,PEAP,MSCHAP-V2
              EAPTLS_CAFile %D/certs/sureserverEDU.pem
              EAPTLS_CertificateFile %D/certs/orps.pem
              EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
              EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile %D/certs/<REMOVED>
              EAPTLS_MaxFragmentSize 1500
              AutoMPPEKeys
              EAPAnonymous anonymous
            </AuthBy>
</Handler>
#
#
#Non EAP
<Handler Realm=ucl.ac.uk>
RewriteUsername   s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
      RewriteUsername   tr/A-Z/a-z/
      AcctLogFileName   %L/ucl-detailplain.%m%y
        <AuthBy LDAP2>
#               Identifier  UCL
               Host      <REMOVED>

               # Microsoft AD also listens on port 3268, and
               # requests received on that port are reported to be
               # more compliant with standfard LDAP, so you may want to use:
               # Port 3268

               AuthDN cn=locindnet,ou=System
Users,dc=uclusers,dc=ucl,dc=ac,dc=uk
#               AuthPassword    yourADadminpasswordhere
               AuthPassword    <REMOVED>
               BaseDN ou=departments,dc=uclusers,dc=ucl,dc=ac,dc=uk
               ServerChecksPassword
               UsernameAttr sAMAccountName
              # EncryptedPasswordAttr sn
#
#                AuthAttrDef logonHours,MS-Login-Hours,check

</AuthBy>
 AcctLogFileName %L/detail
AuthLog UCL_PAP
</Handler>
#
#
#Send Everything else to the NRPS
#
#
#Handler for users with no realm
<Handler Realm = "">
 <AuthBy INTERNAL>
   DefaultResult      REJECT
  </AuthBy>
   AuthLog AUTH-DENY-NOREALM
 </Handler>
#
#
<Handler>
 #<AuthBy GROUP>
#   AuthByPolicy ContinueUntilReject
#   NoEAP
    <AuthBy HASHBALANCE>
 #   NoEAP
     EAPType MSCHAP-V2,TTLS,PAP,PEAP
   <Host roaming0.ja.net>
    Secret <REMOVED>
    AuthPort 1812
    AcctPort 1813
    RetryTimeout 8
   StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
    </host>
#Second NRPS
     <Host roaming1.ja.net>
     Secret <REMOVED>
     AuthPort 1812
     AcctPort 1813
     RetryTimeout 8
     StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
     </host>
#Third NRPS
  <Host <REMOVED>
  Secret j<REMOVED>
   AuthPort 1812
    AcctPort 1813
    RetryTimeout 8
   StripFromReply
Tunnel-Type,Tunnel-Medium-Type,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID,Filter-Id,
cisco-avpair
    </host>
</AuthBy>
# AuthLog NRPSSTATS
#</AuthBy>
AuthLog NRPSSTATS
</Handler>
#

Thanks

Colin

Colin Byelong                             Email: C.Byelong at ucl.ac.uk
Senior Network Development Officer
Network Group
Information Systems Division
University College London
Gower Street                              Phone: 020 7679-2572
London WC1E 6BT