AW: (RADIATOR) Question about Radiator/ORACLE performance

Wallner Martin Martin.Wallner at etel.at
Mon Jun 9 03:04:29 CDT 2008

Same here, with PostGreSQL.
The 'standard' (as in 'goodies') way to store data is not more that a (sorry, Hugh, Mike :-) gloryfied textfile with indexes. We had massive problems with the size generated (even in a month), and, after unsuccessfully trying to optimize our way to generate the billing data (which started to take more than 6 hours), we rewrote the export to our billing from the DB and the gathering of the data from Radius with rules and restraints (basically, we implemented that only the last data will be stored, as in if there is a duplicate of f.e. a Start-Record, it will be updated, not just newly written) so that only one record per type and day is recorded (Start-Alive-Stop, Start-Alive, Alive, Alive-Stop), so max 3 records per dial in session per day). Sessions over day will be held open (with the last Alive Record of the day, and then continued with a new record for the next day)... This compressed our Database from around 30 GB per 5-6 Month to around 5 GB for now 8 Month... Also, due to the now more Updates than Inserts, auto-indexoptimization and a bit of index-tinkering, the Database stays searchable in reasonable times (the old one used to work up to 10 Mins+ to find a dataset...)

So, we are currently taking in around 15 requests (Acc and Auth) per server/sec, and we don't have any congestion problems towards the Database anymore, even when the Billing-Database starts to fumble across the Accountingtable for the dayly billing run... (which now takes around 40 Mins, instead of 6+ before...)

Martin Wallner