(RADIATOR) radiator and server virtualisation

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Thu Jan 31 17:52:15 CST 2008

Hello Carlos, Hello Jose -

I agree - I tend to use this approach extensively in my consulting
practice. You can think of it as controlled multi-threading.

I almost always find that a design with a simple "front-end" instance
proxying to 3 or 4 or 5 simple "back-end" instances works well.

The "front-end" instance classifies requests according to whatever
criteria are appropriate, then proxies those requests to the
corresponding "back-end" instances.

As Jose says, this approach can also use separate authentication and
accounting instances for the "front-end" and the "back-ends".

I also tend to use a load-balancer in front of two groups of Radiator
hosts (primary and secondary), each of which has identical
configurations as described above.

hope that helps

On 1 Feb 2008, at 05:06, Jose Borges Ferreira wrote:

> If you mean virtual server,as in full virtual server
> (Xen,VMWare,etc ) , yes but it's not the best solution.
>
> The best solution, imho, is to have multiple instances of Radiator
> running on different ports.
> You can even have one "master" server  act as proxy /load balancer
> to the others instances. Actually you can have two, one for
> authentication and other for accounting.
>
> José Borges Ferreira
>
> On Jan 31, 2008 5:31 PM, onrubia carlos <carlos.onrubia at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody any experience with several radiator instance running
> on several virtual servers on one physical host?
> We plan to use this solution to better use the server capacity.
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
>
> Carlos,

NB:

radiator)?