(RADIATOR) enable privilege levels for TACACS+ server

Chris Rosan Chris.Rosan at europcar.com.au
Tue Jan 29 17:01:32 CST 2008

Markus,

One of my techie's solved this a few months ago, but he's left now. I'll
try and explain it as best I can.

We use LDAP auth off our Active directory. We have static entries in a
MYSQL database that correspond to the usernames. It means we have to
maintain the database with the priv levels once (when a new staff member
starts) but not passwords etc.

In the config file:

<ServerTACACSPLUS>

        Key YOURKEY

        AddToRequest NAS-Identifier=TACACS

        DefaultRealm our.ad.realm or domain

        GroupMemberAttr tacacsgroup

        AuthorizeGroup admin permit service=shell cmd\* {priv-lvl=15}

        AuthorizeGroup power permit service=shell cmd\* {priv-lvl=14}

</ServerTACACSPLUS>

<Handler NAS-Identifier=TACACS,Realm=my.ad.realm>

        Description IT Admin Accounts

        RewriteUsername s/\@my\.ad\.realm//

        <AuthBy GROUP>

                AuthByPolicy ContinueUntilReject

                AuthBy AuthByLDAP

                <AuthBy SQL>

                        DBSource        dbi:mysql:radius

                        DBUsername      dbusername

                        DBAuth          dbpassword

                        AuthSelect select PRIV_LVL from TACACS where
USERNAME = "%U"

                        AuthColumnDef 0, tacacsgroup, reply

This should be able to be done by any SQL database that radius supports,
or even just with a flatfile.

We have a database "TACACS" with 2 columns. The first column is
"USERNAME", second "PRIV_LVL". These are self explanatory.

Chris Rosan