(RADIATOR) Problems with RADIUS accounting

Bjoern A. Zeeb bz-lists at cksoft.de
Thu Apr 17 13:32:54 CDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Alex Sharaz wrote:

Hi,

> the same machine ... Which looked as if things might have worked. However, I
> then pointed the Trapexe accounting at the devel server and almost
> immediately started getting failure to connect to radius server messages on
> the trapeze console. As it happened there was an error in an sql statement
> for the sessionlog that dealt with updates. After I fixed this it looked as
> if things were working o.k. The problem is that its now 5:32 on a Thursday
> and there¹s not a lot of traffic around.
>
> I really can¹t see anything wrong anywhere or why I¹m getting these errors.

While you are giving a fair amount of information on your hardware
etc. you are not really saying what "these errors" are.

"Failure to connect to radius server" sounds strange as with UDP you
cannot really connect but I read this as the Trapeze doesn't get a
reply from the radius server for whatever request it was sending
or some intermediate device sends a host/port unreachable or the like.

In this case a Trace 4 log on the radius server could tell you if it
is seeing the request coming in, if it is able to handle it
correctly and if it sends out a reply. If this is all true and the
Trapeze still complains, maybe tcpdump on the radius server (and if
possible at the Trapeze side - the other side of the load balancer)
could be interesting as well to see if you lose the packets somewhere.

If you think it's a problem with Radiator talking to the DB a Trace 4
should really tell you about problems as well.

Regards,
Bjoern

--
Dipl. Ing. (BA) Bjoern A. Zeeb          Research & Development
CK Software GmbH                        http://www.cksoft.de/