(RADIATOR) AuthBy LSA Issues still unresolved

Cottrell, Charles P. cottrell at musc.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:44:20 CDT 2008

Hugh,

I have an update on our situation.  It appears that McAfee 8.0 was preventing authentication when I first tried adding the radius workstation to our AD domain.  I'm almost positive it is the port blocking portion of the McAfee product which was causing my issue.  Yesterday I ran a test where I removed McAfee (not ideal, and just for testing) and joined the workstation to the domain, and viola...successful radius authentication!

However, with or without McAfee, when the workstation is not part of our domain Radius authentication fails.

Are you familiar enough with Active Directory to know if there are specific logon policies that can be enabled or disabled when a workstation/server is not a member of the domain?  For instance, is there something in AD that says "allow users to access domain resources such as file shares, but don't allow an actual network login"?  Netware used to have a similar concept where "Network Logon" and "Network Authentication" were two different items.

Does this make sense?

Charles