(RADIATOR) order of attributes in radpwtst

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue Jan 30 19:04:47 CST 2007

Hello Claudio,

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 10:02, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
> Hello Hugh,
>
> We are testing a Radius server (not Radiator :-) that seems to exhibit
> different behavior depending on the particular order in which
> attributes are encoded into the packet. So far we conducted tests with
> radpwtst and three other radius clients, analyzing packets on the wire
> with a sniffer, but we are lacking a more systematic procedure to
> debug this.
>
> Is there a way to force a particular attribute ordering in radpwtst?
> Besides, IIRC, there *was* a feature in radpwtst to feed it somehow
> with a raw packet, wasn't there? The current version doesn't seem to
> have it, however.

The canned requests sent by radpwtst have their attributes and their order
hardwired, but there are a number of other options:

1. You can send an aribitrary type of request and an arbitrary set of
attributes in any order with the -code flag:

radpwtst -noauth -noacct -code
    Access-Request User-Name=mikem NAS-Port-Type=Async

( you can also use the command line to attach any attribtues in any order to
any of the canned requests)

2. You can send a raw packet whose data is in hex format in a file

cat /tmp/x.dat
01 ca 00 21 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 30 31 32
33 34 35 36 01 07 6d 69 6b 65 6d 3d 06 00 00 00
radpwtst -noauth -noacct -rawfile /tmp/x.dat

3. Or on the command line:
radpwtst -noauth -noacct -raw "01 ca 00 21 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 30 31 32
33 34 35 36 01 07 6d 69 6b 65 6d 3d 06 00 00 00"

(clearly with the hex raw packets, you need to have some way of generating
them in the first place. You can use -trace 5 to get the hex dunp of any
packet that radpwtst generates)

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au