(RADIATOR) Authenticating MS l2tp/clients on a cisco VPN server

Bob Shafer bshafer at du.edu
Mon Feb 19 18:58:31 CST 2007

We've been using Cisco VPN servers - authenticating via radiator with a
variety of authentication back ends for years. flat file, db and ldap.

The powers that be are unhappy because that environment seems to require
an inordinate amount of support time at our Help Desk..  They would like
us to look at using l2tp/ipsec, at least for MS desktops.  Which, of
course, is the platform of choice for most everyone.

I have never had to deal much with MS stuff, myself.  I do unix and use
a Mac for my desktop.

Can anyone give me an idea whether I can still use radiator to leverage
my dumb old ldap, flat file and db back ends for authentication?  That
is, and still provide a secure and stable environment?  Or do I, at the
age of 58, need to taint my perfect record of having never had to deal,
directly, with MS products?  (And me getting closer to retirement, every
day? ;)

Any hints pointers and ideas will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Shafer
University of Denver

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au