(RADIATOR) How to send accounting logs to SYSLOG

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Sun Feb 11 14:11:16 CST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Stuart Kendrick wrote:

> i suppose one could employ syslog-over-tcp (RFC3195), but that smells
> like an awful lot of overhead to me (SYN, SYN, ACK, {data}, FIN, FIN ...
> six packets, compared to the two packet exchange of Radius/UDP, not to
> mention the cost of TCBs).  so let's discard the idea of syslog-over-tcp

I thought the point of syslog over TCP was that a permanent TCP channel is
established to the syslog server from the client, over which syslog
packets are sent.  So there isn't a setup/teardown per-packet (which
would, as you say, be very expensive).

In fact there aren't many RFC3195 implementations.  The common
implementation of syslog-over-tcp is not standardized;
http://aplawrence.com/Security/rg_rsyslog_stunnel.html might be useful
reading.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks