(RADIATOR) More questions!

Joe Hughes joeyconcrete at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 13:07:12 CDT 2007

On 20/08/07, Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to have a field in the db called 'ip' and generate
> "framed-ip-address = x.x.x.x, framed-ip-netmask = 255.255.255.255" from
> an ip like 1.1.1.1 and add it to the reply?

That's pretty much the setup I am using but in MSSQL. I also have a
reservations table for static IP 'reservations'. The IP table has a
'Pool' column, so different addresses can be used for different NAS
devices or applications.

I could have simple had a pool on the Cisco NAS device, but the
database method offers more flexibility and more control over IP
allocations. At the minute it is simply used for /32 allocations, with
a bit of work it can handle smaller prefixes /29 etc but I don't
currently have that requirement.

For usage, I have a trigger that fires each time an accounting record
is received, and then a table of usage that is continually updated
each time this message is received for a given user.

The only time I ran into problem with allocating IP addresses from the
database was during some PPP weirdness. Specifically, when a user
logged on (access-request), I would allocate an address (provided the
initial auth was ok), but would very rarely not receive a subsequent
accounting-start. This would indicate the NAS never actually 'started'
the session, but I had allocated an address. I got round this by
simply recording the time-stamp of the first accounting message, if I
allocated an address, but didnt receive a start within 30s, I would
return the IP address to the pool.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au