(RADIATOR) RADIUS stress test - capacity planning

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Sep 4 23:28:28 CDT 2006

Hello Alexander -

There are two aspects to this.

The first is to run radiusd like this:

	cd /your/Radiator/distribution

	perl radiusd -foreground -log_stdout -trace -1 -config_file /your/
configuration/file

The "-trace -1" will show you the number of requests processed every
second.

Then on a separate host, run radpwtst, preferably through a script
using different usernames and passwords, and check the number of
requests per second shown by radiusd. Then run a second script, and a
third, and so on, checking the number of requests per second. When
the number of requests per second no longer increases, do the same
thing from a third machine and so on.

It is important not to run radiusd and radpwtst on the same host as
the processes will interfere with each other.

You should start with a simple configuration file with just a single
Handler and a single AuthBy INTERNAL, which will give you the high-
water mark for your Radiator host. Then you should run your test
configuration so you can do meaningful comparisons.

Alternatively you can use one of the RADIUS stress testing programs.

hope that helps

On 4 Sep 2006, at 23:40, Alexander List wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder how to do a good estimation of when a RADIUS server
> reaches an
> upper limit of requests it can handle. I need some figures to allow
> for
> capacity planning...
>
> Is this something that should be simulated on the target hardware,
> with
> a tool like "radpwtst" or a self-made tool written in Perl?
>
> Thanks in advance for your hints
>
> Alex

NB:

radiator)?