(RADIATOR) Problem with AuthLog SYSLOG - ERR: Error while doing AuthLog SYSLOG: syslog: invalid level/facility: radius at Radius/AuthLogSYSLOG.pm line 110

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Mon Oct 2 00:36:59 CDT 2006

Hi Hugh,

After some digging it appears defining custom log facilities in Mac
OS X may not be allowed.  From syslog.conf(5):

The facility describes the part of the system generating the message,
and
      is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv, cron, daemon,
kern,
      lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through
local7.

Testing is easily done with the 'logger' command.  Something like:
"logger -p radius.info test" causes the failure to occur with the
same sort of error.

It should also be mentioned that the BSD variants of syslogd do not
like spaces in the syslog.conf file - tabs should be used instead.

I'll post a note to the darwin developer's list and see if anyone
there knows whether this is possible or not.

- Terry

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au