(RADIATOR) Problem with AuthLog SYSLOG - ERR: Error while doing AuthLog SYSLOG: syslog: invalid level/facility: radius at Radius/AuthLogSYSLOG.pm line 110

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Sun Oct 1 23:39:58 CDT 2006

Hi Hugh,

I actually do - I should have mentioned that originally. ;)

The following is in my /etc/syslog.conf, and I have restarted my
syslog server:

radius.*                                                /var/log/
radiator/authlog/syslog.log

Also, the default "user.*" does work.  I had to add both radius.* and
user.* to my syslog.conf and restart syslogd, so I'm sure that's all
set up properly.

Additionally, I don't get any error messages from Radiator if I
remove user.* from syslog.conf and restart syslogd, so I'm not sure
what's going on here, but the problems I'm seeing with radius.*
definitely do not exist with user.*, even when user.* is missing from
the syslog.conf.

I should probably also mention that I am testing this on Mac OS X
10.4.8.  I had to install Sys::Syslog, as it is not included in the
Mac OS X perl distribution.

I also had to add the "-r" flag to my syslog server by editing /
System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist.  Here is the
correct incantation for reference:

     <key>ProgramArguments</key>
     <array>
             <string>/usr/sbin/syslogd</string>
             <string>-r</string>
     </array>

If you try to add the -r to the /usr/sbin/syslogd line, your syslog
won't start up.  Also, I'm not sure how to restart syslogd through
launchd, so I rebooted my system instead.

Any idea why user.* works, but radius.* doesn't?

I'll try a couple of other services that area already defined as well
and let you know what the outcome is.

- Terry

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au