(RADIATOR) Log message "Too many open files"

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Mon May 22 22:35:27 CDT 2006

Hello Robert,

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 13:00, Patrick, Robert wrote:
> FYI,
>
> I've applied the latest patch set and I'm still seeing a high number
> (hundreds) of persistent/active TCP sessions for TACACS.
>
> The failed login attempts on my network are caused by (a) CiscoWorks
> failed logins, or (b) vulnerability scanning with brute-force login
> attempts enabled.
>
> These failed login attempts result in a large number of the older Cisco
> devices on my network (Catalyst 2948G, 4000, 5500, etc.) holding
> multiple, persistent TACACS connections open with the Radiator server.
> These sessions do not appear to time-out; I have to restart the service
> to close the connections.  Radiator server platform is CentOS Linux
> (equal to Red Hat Enterprise Linux) version 4, with all of the latest
> updates (4.3) applied to a minimum install with only a few extra
> packages installed (e.g. Radiator, Nagios, Smokeping).
>
> After disabling CiscoWorks login attempts, and not conducting any
> vulnerability scans, the older Cisco devices aren't a problem.
>
> Is there any change to the config file needed to enable TACACS timeouts
> to drop these stale connections?

No config change required. You should see the tacacs connection disconnected
when the authentication fails. Perhaps you can send me some of your log file
showing what happens during some of these CiscoWorks
failed logins, or (b) vulnerability scanning with brute-force login
attempts enabled. The I can confirm if the patch is enabled for you.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au