(RADIATOR) Log message "Too many open files"

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Sun Feb 26 03:39:17 CST 2006

Hello Robert,

Does this mean that all those TACACS authentication sessions are still in
progress, or are they completed, but the TCP connection is still in place? ie
what does netstat report for all those telnet client connections?

Is it possible the TELNET client in your routers do not close the TCP
connection properly/at all after authentication?

Is there some way you can distinguish between the scanning attempts and
legitimate login attempts?

You dont mention what operating system you are using, but most operating
systems enforce limits on the number of simultaneously open files for a
single process. And most allow you to change that limit. So, if you can be
sure that you can increase the open file limit until it is above the maximum
number of simultaneous telnet sessions, you should do that.

I dont think this is a bug in Radiator, but if you could send me a (sanitized)
excerpt from your Radiator log file showing what happens at the end of one of
these bogus sessions, it would help me to decide. I am particularly
interested if you see a
TacacsplusConnection disconnected from ....
line for each connection.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au