(RADIATOR) Three small(?) feature requests

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 24 02:50:02 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Mike McCauley wrote:

> > Can debugging output for the AuthGROUP debug also print the Identifier set
> > for the group, as it does for the AuthLDAP2 one above?
>
> Added, now in the latest patch set.

Thanks.

> Thats quite difficult: we are at the mercy of Sys::Hostname there, and
> Im not convinced there is a better more complete way, that is
> universallly available :-( See man Sys::Hostname for more details on how
> the hostname is determined: you may be able to change the config of your
> host to get a better answer.

I thought it might be something like that; I rememeber looking into this
for something I was doing a while ago.  I wrote something like:

        $myhostname = hostname();
        my $mypaddress  = gethostbyname("$myhostname")
                or die "Couldn't resolve ${myhostname}: $!";
        $myhostname = gethostbyaddr($mypaddress, AF_INET)
                or die "Couldn't re-resolve ${myhostname}: $!";

on that occasion.  Meanwhile, I see there is a Sys::Hostname::Long, which
tries harder to find the FQDN.

Either way, I'd prefer that %h (or probably some other variable for
backwards compatibility) returned only the simple hostname, and another
one returned the FQDN where it is available.

> In the light of that, do you still wish for item 2 above?

I think so; it's better than nothing.  In fact I already do things like
Include %D/something.%h, so I already have to deal with this issue with
filenames anyway.

Thanks,

Jethro.

> Cheers.
>

> > I'm running 3.13 with patches circa August currently, so apologies if
> > these features are included in a later patch set.
> >
> > Ta,
> >
> > Jethro.
> >
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > Jethro R Binks
> > Computing Officer, IT Services
> > University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
> >
> > --
> > Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radiator/
> > Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au

> Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au
> Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd            Unix, Perl, Motif, C++, WWW
> 9 Bulbul Place Currumbin Waters QLD 4223 Australia   http://www.open.com.au
> Phone +61 7 5598-7474                       Fax   +61 7 5598-7070

> Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory, EAP, TLS,
> TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au